Monday, June 1, 2009

Conference, Conference Here I Come!

So I'm going to my first writer's conference next week. I'm super excited, and very nervous. I'm a naturally shy person--extremely shy and I have a hard time around new people. But I've learned to push myself to be friendly, but at the same time it is exhausting.

Another scary factor is sharing my work with strangers. They have no reason to be nicey, nice about my writing. So I'm going to get honest feedback. That is a good thing and I'm ready to take it. Bring it on! (But that doesn't mean I'm still not afraid of it--but what if they hate it? What if they hate me? kind of thing.)

I'm frantically trying to get the last minute things done, go through the prep materials the workshop leader sent me, and get the house ready for my mom to come take care of the kids. Shopping, cleaning, writing ahead for my jobs, and I still have to fit my writing in.

Wow! I don't have time to write much more. But in honor of my conference going, I've gotten a new haircut. Well honestly it's my haircut when I get my haircut. It was halfway down my back, and now it's under my chin, but I feel more writerly and confident and happy. I should just keep my hair short. I like it so much better that way!

Happy Writing--I'll post after the conference in two weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time. It's a great thing you're doing--for you AND your writing.

Tiny advice, listen to whatever the critiques are, take notes, smile & nod, and then give yourself a day or two (or three) before you really look at the critique. Sometimes, right in our faces, it's hard to hear/see anything but the stuff someone would like us to change and hard to do anything with that. After a bit of time passage, not only does it sometimes make a lot more sense, the overall feel an be less painful, and we might even have the clarity to see the good things the critiquer meant as well!

Relax and enjoy yourself as much as possible!

Mim said...

Thanks for the advice!