Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Five

1. The plan at the beginning of the school year was to write (for my real job not my novels) every Monday, Wednesday and Friday while my youngest was at school. In theory (remember my previous post about theories), this would mean a lot less guilt free time working, a significant income boost and a more balanced household. I am here to say that three hours is not what I thought it would be. Too many distractions at home, and other time taking obligation out there. But every week I tell myself that this is the week where I actually meet my self-imposed quotas that may or may not be realistic.

2. Cable television is something I grew up without. In fact except for a brief stint in college and a very short period when I was first married, I've not had cable until recently. I also thought it was stupid to pay for television, especially when I hear so many people complaining that nothing they want to watch is on. We recently got cable so that we could have our Internet hooked up for free and avoid the $450.00 charge the company had listed. My husband insisted that we needed the faster Internet the new company provided--I haven't been too impressed, but in retrospect I wished we had just paid for the installation. They also sent us $300.00, so $750.00 and we are coming out even right now. The only shows we really watch are on Network television or available on Hulu anyway. But the thing that keeps me from canceling each month is the DVR. I like watching on our nice television downstairs, the two shows I like on the day I want to. It's really silly, and I know there has to be another solution to the problem, but I don't want to give up my DVR.

3. Talking about college and Cable brought back a truly horrible story from college. The television in the apartment belonged to me, and I hated MTV. So I hid the remote. The basic network channels were preprogrammed into the television, and I didn't care if anyone watched whenever they wanted to, just not MTV. Later a huge roommate fight broke out (I'm sure you've experienced the drama) which ended up with two roommates taking off to California in a big huff, and the hidden remote secret was spilled out in the midst of the horrible screaming about cleaning and other fun girly issues. And I actually had really great roommates through college. I stuck with the same set until I got married, if that tells you anything.

4. My daughter is growing up. She has begin sacrificing comfort for fashion. I don't know how I totally feel about that either. Her sacrifice is that she has begun wearing jeans to school instead of leggings, since jeans are cool. The problem is she didn't get many pairs of jeans this year, because I'd finally believed she wouldn't wear them. And the other issue is finding some that look good on her. Most of the jeans are designed to worn snugly (oh- I really mean skin tight-uggh brings back the 80s), but my little one is so skinny that the tight design just doesn't fit. I may have to go out and find designer jeans. She runs a size or two smaller in skinny than she is in length. Some of her leggings were even baggy on her!

5. The next week brings on the birthday's for my two boys. My youngest was born just six days shy of two years apart from his brother. After the birthdays are over I can breathe a sigh of relief until October hits again. A few birthdays scattered here and there, but nothing like the total chaos that comes starting October. It doesn't help that all of my in-laws are adding birthdays to those months. Seriously--including my husband. We've got a new niece that added a birthday this week too. But it's over in just a few more days!

Happy Writing!

2 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

I have the same problem with Bekah and girl jeans! I started buying her boy jeans in slim. Obviously not the kind with all the buckles. It does the trick (as long as I don't tell her I bought them in the boy's section).

Mim said...

Thanks for the suggestion--I'll have to try that out, see if it works for her. : )