Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Totally Pointless Week

Wow! I look back at this week, and wonder what I did the whole week. The answer is absolutely nothing. Now that is not entirely true. But in relation to my novel it is. I don't know what paralyzed my writing, but something sure did.

Partly I spent way too much time wasting time on the Internet. Another part of me wanted to work extra to earn money for my plane ticket to my writing conference (sadly though I really didn't accomplish much writing at all this week).  Then my daughter was sick. 

And I don't know what else. So I have a new strategy. Get up early, and get it done. We'll see how my new plan goes, since as my husband tells me I just don't get up early. It didn't used to be that way. In fact before Rob and I started dating I was the type of girl who was in bed by about 10:00 most nights (weekends excluded of course). When that happened I got up at about 6:30 most days. I had eight o'clock classes all through college. Then we started dating and I started staying up til 12:00.  Slowly things have gotten worse over the years. Now it's about 12:00 or 12:30 before I go to bed. It's going to change now though. I'll be up at five or six tomorrow and get right to work.

The other part of this strategy is one hour on my novel first thing--usually I do my other writing first. Then I'll do my other writing. Then another hour on my novel in the evenings. The early mornings mean an earlier bedtime. So I'm off!

Hope your week was better--writing wise!

3 comments:

Jessie Oliveros said...

I have set a goal to write 1,000 words a day, which some days I accomplish and some days I don't. Some writers blog about writing thousands of words a day, so maybe 1,000 words is blushable.

But, I know the feeling of not feeling productive at the end of the week when you look at how much you actually wrote (which for me is very little compared to how much I think about my writing).

Also, your sick little girl is probably glad you were unproductive last week, because I'm sure she got lots of mom kisses and hugs instead.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Oh boy do I know how you feel! I had one of those weeks (two weeks, actually) where I'm just...lost as far as writing goes. It's not that I don't have anything to write, it's that I have too much! And I think my once laid-back write it when I feel like it days are behind me. I might actually need a schedule. Ugh. I hope things come together for you!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

sounds like a greta plan - i get my writin done between 10-2 am then up at 6:30 with 18 month old ugh! Thx for visting me!!!