Tuesday, July 7, 2009

So I Keep Putting Off Posting

Honestly, when I don't post on a regular basis, it is because I'm not writing. I'm procrastinating, and I don't want the rest of the world to know it. That's why I started the blog, really. It's all about accountability. This week I've got the achey coughy kind of flu thing. My two oldest are at grandma's, and so you'd think I'd be getting my writing done. But no. I've managed to completely waste the last two days. Seriously though I am sick. I took the garbage out, not normally a big deal, and I sat down and didn't get up for over an hour. I was dizzy and tired. Tired!

But that doesn't mean I'm sleeping well at night. Enough about my sickness (excuse for not writing).

I've given myself a new absolutely infallible deadline. My dh Rob thinks I should go to the local SCBWI conference and pay the extra money to have my novel evaluated. The only way I'll do that is if I get this revision done in time to submit. It has to be there by August 5th. Talk about the motivation I need. I do work best under pressure--especially external pressure.

Plus I think it is nearly time to submit to agents (meaning once I've gotten this draft right). I've gotten lots of very helpful and wonderful feedback that's really changed what I've written. I'm very grateful to Heather!

I've thought a lot about what I've written, and why I finally started writing. And the fact that yes I finished my novel. Yes, I finished it more than six months ago, and yes I've sat around "editing it" for six months. A lot of that time has seriously been just staring at it or wasting time. But no more! If I can write the damn thing, then I can edit it too.

Now that's out of my system I'm going to bed, so I can actually do something tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for moving forward with your story. It really was wonderful (from what I got to read at the conference). The deadline is a wonderful thing and you really should shop for an agent because you're great, Mim!

I hope you get feeling better soon!

Patti said...

Six months, that's nothing compared to my two years. You're way ahead of me.