Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Five

1. It's been so long since I've done a Friday Five that I'm sure this is going to be in more random than usual. I'm currently counting and we are thirteen days away from school starting back up. And I'm anxiously waiting for it. The summer has been hot and the kids and i are driving each other nutty. Once school starts I'll look forward to the days off and the time we spend together again. I just need so mommy alone time.

2. We recently junked a car that we've had for years. We bought it the year after we got married, and it was used. The transmission gave out after 200,000 miles, and it just wasn't worth getting fixed anymore. That doesn't make it easy. We've sold our other cars, but this felt different, as I watched it get towed away. Plus it was the car I brought my babies home in. It was the first car we purchased as a couple. I don't know it's weird how sad I felt as i watched it being towed away.

3. To be completely honest my novel writing has been hit or miss lately. First I paused my Lexy story to totally rewrite Isis again. And to be honest I think I've nailed Isis. She's good to go. I'm going to rework my query again, and send it out. And I started over from scratch on Lexy. Originally I thought, I'd just plow through to the end, since I'll rewrite the entire thing again. But then I thought about it and I realized how much stronger I feel as a writer, and I figured why not nail the best first draft ic an so when i rewrite it will be that much stronger. I changed to present tense, which is a little tricky for me, but it feels right for this story.

4. I've spent a lot of time reading this summer. And I've enjoyed many good books. And I've been disappointed a few times with books that came highly recommended. In fact I've been avoiding books that everyone has been raving about, because I don't want to be disappointed. So I was a little reluctant to pick up Divergent by Veronica Roth. If you follow YA books at all or the writing community, this book has been getting rave reviews all over the place. And I just figured that it couldn't live up to the hype. Well, I'm glad I picked it up, because it totally lived up to they hype. It's an awesome, awesome book, and I've been recommending it left and right ever since. If you haven't read it yet, you really should.

5. I'm really thinking about what I want this blog to be. And where I want my career to go. I work as a freelance writer and it's nice to be home, but with my youngest just a year away from kindergarten, I'm starting to think about the change in dynamics in our home. Right now it doesn't make sense for me to work outside of the home, because the cost of daycare washes out the amount that I'd make at a steady job compared to what I make now. But then there is the instability of working freelance versus a real job. And then there is the fact that i just want to be novelist. My dream job. We'll see what this year brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Isis and I'm happy to hear things are moving forward with Lexy! Congrats! Congrats!

I hear you about school. I'm both sad summer's over and I'm looking forward to mommy quiet time.

I haven't read Divergent yet but you're right, it's definitely out there and being favorably reviewed. I'll have to pick it up.