Thursday, January 30, 2014

Dreams and Writing

Last night I dreamed that I was writing down some really great scenes in my book. I could picture the dialogue, the back and forth and I was falling a bit more in love with Steven, my male main character. Yeah. It was great. I had detailed scenes that helped move the plot forward. And it's been niggling along in the back of my mind all day.

Of course I can't remember what the ideas were or what actually happened in the scenes. That never happens. I used to keep a notebook next to my bed where I'd attempt to scribble in the dark to get down the ideas. Last night I never even got to the point of waking to get them down.

However, dreams do help me with my writing. The premise for Lexy came from a dream that I can still remember vividly. Selena came from a dream (an idea that I still want to revisit--I really want to understand this female terrorist that is playing in my head).

I haven't dreamed like this in awhile, and so it is exciting to be doing that again. And all I've wanted to do today is still away for a few hours to write. But my kids are home with a snow day, and I took them to the park to go sledding instead. I'm happy to do it. This is the first time they've ever really been sledding in actual snow and not down ice. But now that I'm home, all I want to do is sneak away to type out my story.

Do dreams help you in your writing?

No comments: