Monday, June 9, 2014

Books I Love: Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan


For some strange reason I hadn't heard of this book. I say that it is strange because it was so good, and I really try to keep up with the young adult books, especially fantasy. We went to the library as a family on Monday, and I found it randomly scouting the YA section, which I haven't done in awhile. I usually just request the new releases and put books on hold so I can zip in pick them up and leave. It helps that I'm within walking distance of our library.

Anyway, I picked it up on Monday, and I thought about it, but it wasn't until Friday that I picked it up. I had time to kill, while I waited for the technician who was installing cable for the summer. And I started reading. I didn't get any work done on Friday, and I realized that I didn't want to wait for the holds to come through to read the rest of the series, so I zipped by another (farther away) library and picked up the remaining two books in the trilogy. That's an advantage of finding out about a book after it's been out for awhile. And I finished the trilogy on Saturday. (Plus I squeezed in another book I'll blog about next week.)

This is fantasy more than anything, but contemporary and about immortals and magic. The main character is Nastasya, who is an immortal, and she's old, like 451, but she realizes that she's not happy, and she's trapped in the adolescence phase of her life. While this is classified as YA, and is sort of a coming of age story, it also felt older to me, like it would fit just fine in the adult section of fantasy. 

I liked the world building. I like the philosophy introduced. I like the main character and the secondary characters. I just really, really liked the trilogy. And I'm getting her other books to read as well.

Have you read it? What did you think?

No comments: